EDM Arena character batch 4 is finally complete! To check out the previous batches, here's one, two, and three.
Shout outs to people on deviantArt who helped motivate me and inspired some of these ideas! Here's each character's design process:
D3S-DROID (derives from Destroid. Info on this character can be found here.)
Silence (Kill the Noise)
- One of the simplest designs, the challenge here was to make the rest of his body more interesting, as his head is really the only point of interest. I also wanted to keep this one simple because I wanted to make a plushie out of him.
- Klaymor had been around since batch 3 but was never released due to colour scheme issues. Originally, the character was half red, half blue, but no matter what orientation or texture I applied to these split colours, Klaymor looked like an airline mascot. It wasn't until this week when I figured the Klaypex red and blue colours should go to the swords and not the character's body.
- His limbs float and can extend great distances, similar to Rayman.
Vicious Infectious (Infected Mushroom)
- Vicious Infectious' cap was originally your typical red toadstool, but I really wanted it to be the bleeding tooth fungus because that's my favourite fungi. I based its design around the giant, mushroom character statue the band has on stage when they play live sometimes.
- Figuring out this character's name was the most difficult. It relates to one of Infected Mushroom's albums, Vicious Delicious.
Don Haus (Swedish House Mafia)
- Thanks to a fellow deviant on dA, I was able to figure out a design for a Swedish House Mafia character. I initially thought of depicting three mafia-esque characters together (like the three members of the SHM group), but the idea of just one head-honcho that could send in other members of his mafia to attack an opponent seemed better.
- Don Haus' head came from one of the designs of the three dots that are often affiliated with SHM. His scarf design is the Swedish flag.
Now for a break from EDM Arena, back to updating the portfolios. Stay tuned for more characters in the future! ;)